Homepage backlinks are particularly important for SEO because:
- They provide a stronger domain-level effect
- They help with branding (when anchor text includes the brand name)
Discount page link building is an effective strategy for acquiring relevant and high-quality homepage backlinks.
On this page, we provide detailed instructions on how to execute such a campaign, including best practices, tips, and methods that will help you achieve your link building goals.
Find your opportunity
The first step in executing a discount page link building campaign is identifying the opportunity you want to target.
For example, many universities and other educational institutions have pages where they list discounts available to their students and employees.
This may include discounts related to restaurants, entertainment, travel, and more.
If your website can offer a similar discount then this creates a link building opportunity for you. The reason is simple: since you offer discount to the unviersity employees and/or students, you can ask to be included on the discount page. In most cases, this will result in a relevant homepage backlink for your website.
Once you have identified the opportunity, collect all qualifying prospects (discount pages where you can potentially get listed) and move to the next step.
Create an outreach plan
Not all discount page prospects are the same. So, your outreach plan must reflect this.
We have noticed the following types of discount page prospects:
- Prospects that have a special procedure for getting listed on discount pages
- Prospects that don’t specify any procedure, but provide a contact email
- Prospects that don’t provide any information
So, in each scenario, a different approach should be applied:
Special procedure provided
Follow the procedure to get listed
No procedure, but the contact email provided
Reach out to the contact email and ask if you can get listed
No procedure, no contact information
Reach out using general contact channels and ask how to get listed
Once your outreach plan is ready, you are all set. Perform your link building campaign based on it and track the results you get.
Remember that not all prospects are worth reaching out to.
Here are some types of prospects you should probably ignore:
- discount pages listing only big brands (if your business is small or medium-sized, then you should probably skip those)
- discount pages not listing any discount from your or closely related industries (for example, if the discount page lists only software, then you probably won’t fit there with your restaurant discount)
- pages that have not been updated for a long time (if the last time the page was updated is 1996, then your chances of getting included are not high)
- pages with too many discounts and outgoing links (the simple rule applies here, the more outgoing links the page has the less valuable each link becomes, so it’s not worth the hassle in most cases)
That’s pretty much all.
We try to keep things simple here at Internet Tools. Good luck 😉